NEW SITE ANNOUNCEMENT: Same content, new location: http://pentriloquist.com.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 5:Hostile Witness by Rebecca Forster -Friday's Free Kindle Read



A superior court judge had to sentence a minor to life in prison.  His wife, struck by the significance of a life sentence for one so young was inspired to write a novel about a case where that was a possible outcome.

 FREE!  Yes, today's review is also my Friday freebie announcement.

Linda's 16 year old daughter, Hannah, has just been arrested for killing her grandfather.  Linda reaches out to a college friend (without many fond memories of being Linda's "friend") Josie Baylor-Bates. Josie has criminal defense experience.

Josie doesn't want the case.  She doesn't want to deal with Linda, doesn't want to upset her new position at a small law firm without all the criminal drama... but Linda is frantic and doesn't seem willing to leave Josie's house until she gets her to cooperate.  Josie makes a promise to just the smallest amount of immediate assistance, but that's all.

Hannah has some quirks... She has to touch things... 20 times.  She's hard to connect with, mistrusting, a bit rebellious.  The matches found in her room are the same type used to set the fire in her grandfather's rooms.  She also doesn't have a large fan club. Her step-father just wants this to all go away, because he's up for a government appointment... even if it means Hannah pays with her freedom... even if she's innocent, which he doesn't allow himself to even consider.

And Linda? Linda doesn't want to lose her husband, and she's willing to pay a very high price to keep the peace with him.  Her loyalty is tested.

There's a beach scene between Linda & Josie required a little stretching on the reader's behalf, but overall I enjoyed the book and had a hard time putting it down.  

So, pick it up for your free weekend read!

This post is part of  The 31 Days project at The Nester.  Here are some other 31 Days participants you may enjoy.

31 Days of Mystery and Mayhem
31 Days of Quotes for Writers
31 Days to Reconnecting

If you're writing on this theme, please leave your link in the comments!

Do you have a favorite free book you can recommend for Kindle readers this weekend?  Please share!






7 comments:

  1. I somehow ran across the 31 days posting and somehow picked yours out to follow. I am always nervous about taking other people's book advice because its hard to find someone who likes the same variety of books you do. You seem to be hitting the nail on the head, AND you recommended a FREE book???? WOW! Very exciting. Thanks so much for taking time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, KristyLou. I know what you mean about book advice. Sometimes I don't like a book at all, but there are Amazon reviews that rave about it, or I really like a book, and I see scathing remarks and wonder... Is there something wrong with my taste in books, or are these people the author's ex-in-laws? I liked that book! Every Friday I'll have links to free books. I'm so glad you stopped by. I hope you find some good reads here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh you post a free book every Friday? Awesome! I just got a Kindle recently, and it can be hard to pick out the good books from all the smut stories on there. ;)

    I just got to re-read Little Women, since most classics are free. I don't think I realized what a great book it was when I first read it ten years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just reviewed a LMA book today. Not at all what I expected, after Little Women. Hope you like it.

      Delete
    2. Wow, I just read your synopsis of it... that definitely sounds different!

      I just started reading Little Men. I don't have my hopes set too high, since I don't like "sequels" usually, but we'll see.

      Delete
  4. I don't have a specific book to share, but I love that both Bethany House and David C. Cook Publishers offer free e-books. Bethany House has a new list each month of free books. They are often popular authors...and often new books...but they all have a limited time to take advantage of the free part before they cost again. David C. Cook offers a new free e-book each week if you are on their e-mailing list. I'm reading A Heartbeat Away right now which is an excellent suspense by Harry Kraus that I got for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Kristin... I'm off to check those out.

      Delete