NEW SITE ANNOUNCEMENT: Same content, new location: http://pentriloquist.com.

Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year, New Start, Lotsa Books

I'm posting in case someone clicks on a comment I've left as I've surfed all over the blogger universe this weekend. Hi! *wave*

I've been away. I've written for Bellaonline.com for the past six months, and I've been arranging and rearranging my "creative space"(sewing room). I've now renamed that space as my "studio", however the sewing machine and ironing board are still residing there. Studio sounded quite serious, and when I call it that, then open the door and see it... it makes me laugh.

Last month, a lovely editor of a magazine critiqued an article I wrote. It was an offer she made to everyone in the class last summer... deadline was December 24th. I had NOTHING to write about until December 20th. It was mailed overnight on the 23rd. She wrote such lovely things and was helpful in some editing tips - I was high-fiving myself all the way home from the post office.

I'm submitting the finished article next week.

Today, I stopped by twitter and realized people HAVE been tweeting, even though I've not been reading them. Actually, life goes so quickly at Twitter that I can't keep up.... you could get married, conceive a child and send the kid to preschool and I'll have missed all that. I'll have stopped by the day you discovered that Claussen pickles "rock".

What I learned on Twitter today is: Bookish Dad is reading 100 books this year. I've joined the madness. He agreed to read the first title recommended in each comment. I offered up "One For The Money" by Janet Evanovich. Others were going for classics and literary works. I thought he deserved a little brain vacation, so I provided one.

I'm currently reading:

Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald
The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon
First Things First by Stephen Covey - this doesn't count because I've read it already.

I'm NOT promising to read suggested books for two reasons. First, I haven't written here for so long.. I'm not sure anyone will read this. Second - If someone DOES stop by, I don't want to risk reading something awful. If you stop by and you have a really good book to recommend, I'll check it out. No promises, though.

5 comments:

  1. I like your plan, Amy, and I might give it a try. I always intend to keep track of what I've read, and I never follow through. Bob Hostetler recently blogged about all the books he'd read in 2011, ranking them and writing comments. So that's double inspiration
    By the way I envy you your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You came by my little blog oh so long ago - and I'd stopped even checking it. I feel awful that I didn't say anything sooner. It seems we both are writers and creatives with limited time to ourselves. Gosh - we have so much in common!

    I like your plan. I've suddenly gotten to a phase in my life where reading is possible once more (my little ones are big enough to be completely absorbed in lego creating) - and I'm devouring books at an alarming rate again. Some of my books are subversive though, so I won't share all the titles. Mostly spiritual path type stuff and gardening and sustainability. So - not everyone will be interested in my reading list. But I do so love that you are reading again as well.

    Let's encourage one another in our pursuits to give ourselves time for creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now, Walden, by Henry David Thoreau has jumped to the top of my reading list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm! My daughter has jumped ahead in our pack of book devourers. She's finished her 8th book. I'm working on my 4th. My mother is taking on the Bible, since it has 66 books in one location. I think she wants to save herself trips to the library. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I told Brianna the bible only counts for one lol :-) Just finished my 12th book this morning...unlike the 11th instead of having too much explanation it had too little....

    ReplyDelete